Thursday, January 14, 2010

Understanding the Keyboard (POST2)

The keyboard has essentially become the center piece of western classical music. It is supposed to be every composers best friend. The perfect instrument.

Since I play guitar and am a very poor pianist, it is a challenge for me to write good flowing music that fits onto a keyboard. It is a completely different way of thinking. Two hands which have many possibilities.

I started listening and examining scores from great keyboard composers from the past. I took ideas and passages that I liked and modified them to make them my own. Most notably

- Scarlatti - K. 14 in G Major
- Chopin - Prelude No. 15 Op. 28
- Rachmaninoff Etude - Tableaux Op.33 No.2
- Liszt - Three Concert Etudes S.144 No.3 "Un Sospiro"
- Scriabin - Vers la flamme, Op.72

1 comment:

  1. This is very interesting! I would be very interested to learn more about what exactly you took from the listed compositions, and how you adopted those passages for your own use.

    ReplyDelete