Thursday, October 22, 2009

Getting ready for the concert

So this has been an insanely busy week. Working out the fine details in each of my three pieces seemed to take much more time than I had anticipated. The hard part was finally closing Sibelius and accepting what i had down, knowing I would not be able to change anything else before hearing it in the concert.

Since i wrote two slower more atmospheric works, and one faster more ambitious work, it took me awhile to settle on an order and in the end I left it was I wrote it (chronologically). The two slower movements surround the more rhythmic one.

I think the pieces work as a set, but could also be preformed alone and would still create an effective atmosphere. I also came up with titles for them individually

I. Haze - The piece really is a gloomy atmosphere which leaves the listener with a sense of timelessness. I thought the word Haze described this very well

II. Advert - Which literally means to draw your attention to something. To point something out. Since i use a lot of rhythmic accents over a more flowing line, this title fit very well

III. Comatose - I received several comments on this piece. Particularly the piano line which was described as "going no where" and "no direction". I did edit it a little but i was quite happy with the part myself. This piece can be described as Comatose which means Unconscious

anyway I have done a lot of work on this music and am happy with the outcome. I am definatly looking forward to the concert and hearing these works preformed on the big stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment