Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Writing Charatcer Piece 2

SO, this second piece was a lot less painless to write. It seemed to flow a lot easier. Since my first piece sounded more like chords resonating over bar lines i decided to try and add some rhythm to move the time instead of capturing one moment and stretching it like my first piece.

Although it looks much different on paper there are my similarity which could link the two compositions. I did reuse several chords that appeared in the first piece in order to create a sense of unity throughout the work as a whole. instead of going for major dissonances I stuck with a lot open 5ths and octaves. I love the sound of 5ths and 9ths when used in a modal context.

Overall this piece has a lot more "line". Contrasting the opening few piano chords in 4/4 with the quick 5/8 measure of the vibraphone will drive the line forward. hopefully in wont be perceived as too tonal..................


time will tell

2 comments:

  1. Good entry. I'm curious about the relationship between your original chords and your second piece, given your statement that you "stuck with a lot open 5ths and octaves." I may be misremembering, but I hadn't remembered that your original progression had lots of open 5ths and 8ves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, my first piece made use of very clear intervals. Out of the 12 chords that i wrote in the first week that ones that spoke to me the most were the ones that used 4ths 5ths and Octaves. For example,

    C# F# G A

    C F B D#

    C F G D E

    A E F G

    So in my first composition these were the main chords

    C D G

    C G E F#

    C F G D E

    and it ended with

    A E G D being repeated five times...

    My second piece (before i revised it) began with the exact that exact chord...

    ReplyDelete