Sunday, November 22, 2009

Considerations

I have finished my piece. Any changes made from now until the concert will only be small. I am quite happy with the outcome. Originally this piece was written for marimba but I decided it sounded better on vibraphone.

I ended up writing three different pages of ideas that I based the final product on.

I first wrote a 4 and a half measure arpeggio line for guitar that repeats several time throughout the piece. This ended up serving as the central accompaniment for the voice. The vibe part was added after. This section is contrasted with a slower 9/8 section that is constant until the very last few measures.

Since I am a guitarist preforming mostly solo works, I found it quite challenging to write a part that fit into an accompanying texture while leaving enough space for the other parts. The voice had to stand out above everything else so making the guitar take a back seat was something I defiantly struggled with during this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment